Sunday, February 27, 2011

Slow Down

Slow down. Find something enjoyable in everything I do. I can’t get back time, so make the most of each moment.

Today I weeded in my front yard. I tried to be aware of what I was doing, not let my mind wander away and do it’s usual bit of worrying, planning, list making. Instead, I focused on being present, being in the moment. Noticing my breath. Feeling the earth. Seeing my progress. Enjoying good music, fresh air, sun on my skin, a sense of accomplishment, sore muscles, how much nicer the yard looked when I finished. I worked on not doing what I usually do, which is constantly think about how long it’s taking, how I wish I was done, what I need to do when I am finished, what I would rather be doing. Right now, this moment, is my life. Don’t squander it. Be still, quiet my mind, notice the smell of the air, the blue of the sky, the texture of the dirt, the beauty of a ladybug, the peace of solitude.

I think everything I do has some positive aspect, something about I can find to enjoy. It’s easier with some things than others, obviously. And I won’t be perfect at it. Some days I will be more able than others to see the good. Some things take more effort to recognize. But I think it’s worth it to search for the positive, find the thing that makes whatever task I am working on enjoyable. It makes life more pleasant and peaceful, makes me feel more content and happy. Less resentful and frustrated. I’ll be more likely to get around to those tasks I normally procrastinate doing because I dread doing them. Wouldn’t my energy and time and thoughts be much better spent accomplishing my task joyfully rather than constantly worrying about how I'm not getting it done, dreading doing it, and berating myself for another day passing without getting it done?

Slow down. Take a deep breath. Don’t rush through everything. If I rush through everything, life will pass me by and I won’t have any memories. Take my time and notice what I am doing, how I am feeling, my environment, my thoughts. Don’t get so caught up in the big picture (how MANY weeds there are to be pulled). Focus attention on the little bit of soil I am working on now. One step at a time. Fully appreciate every moment I have, because time passes and I can’t ever get those moments back.

Before . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . After

No comments:

Post a Comment