Monday, October 11, 2010

Exercise Restart

Today I restarted my exercise program. I have not been exercising much for the past month. I had some issues in September that I allowed to stop me, but I should have only taken a week off. Well the week became ten days became two weeks became way too long. I did walk a few times on my afternoon break at work, and a couple of days I used the treadmill at home. But it certainly was a far cry from how well I had been doing. For about a week now I have been feeling the motivation to get started again. I was all geared up to start last Monday, but something seemed to happen every night last week that got in the way. That is when I decided to start walking on my breaks again. At least I could do that, and not much "happens" to get in the way at work. This afternoon I felt the desperate need to get out and DO something, so I returned a book at the library, went to Wal-Mart, and most importantly started taking photographs for the Web Album I set up last week (see at http://picasaweb.google.com/118412076507433432326). I drove around and took snapshots of places I love to go for eating, shopping, relaxing, or having fun. I took more pictures than I realized, and I had a great time doing it. I am thinking of so many more things I want to photograph for my albums, and I can't wait to get going. When I got home, I was all jazzed up from my photo session, and I thought "This is it. I have the energy and before it dies down I am going to change into my workout clothes and walk." And I did. And it felt great. I can't wait to do it again tomorrow. I wish I hadn't missed a month, but at least I am getting started again. And on the flip side, I missed ONLY one month. In the past I have skipped months, sometimes years before I would get started again. I hope in the future when I get stalled for one reason or another, because it will happen again, that I only stall for two weeks. And then only for one week. And then only for a couple of days. I hope that I can learn from this experience that I am not a total failure when I miss a few days. It's just a bump in the road and when I recover I just get right back up and keep going. This is another place where my "embracing the gray" should help a lot. It is not all white (exercise EVERY SINGLE DAY) or black (if you can't do it every day then give up). Life is gray. Things get in the way . . . physical ailments, migraines, girls night out, volunteering, pampered chef/candle parties . . . life. Life happens and sometimes I just won't get to exercise. That is not failure, and I do NOT need to give up just because I missed day or a week, or even a month. As my dad would say, "When you fall off your bike, get right back on and keep riding." Love you Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment